Saturday, December 16, 2017
really long time no post
Well as you can see from my other blog post (crazy single life). I am back to being single. I have a new job which is great even though I bitch about it. Decided to do DNA in late 2014. Then my dad and his wife did theirs. DNA came back for sure I am his daughter, he never had any doubts BUT the man he was told was his father was not. Took quite a bit of digging and a lucky DNA match (his half sister) and we got that all figured out. The hard part is that he was conceived during his father's marriage. No contact with any of the close cousins but I am now an administrator for one of the family research projects.
The other big news, is that right after Thanksgiving last year, I sent my maternal sister L a friend request on facebook. I had sent her a message two years earlier to let her know my oldest daughter had been diagnosed with MS but she never saw it. She accepted my request right away and the fun began. Turns out our mother had told her about me shortly before cutting contact. She showed a picture of me and my family but it was the picture that comes in the frame. Had it been a real picture of me she would have known. I am the spitting image of our mother. Mom is a real mess, mentally ill, bulimic, anorexic and a narcissist. Both my mothers are alike. Mom has early dementia. L was thrilled to find out about me. She was going to wait to tell our brother but decided to tell him right away. He was mad that our mom kept such a secret from them. L called the oldest of our aunts who denied everything but admitted to knowing my dad. Sigh, lies and secrecy still. One cousin initially welcomed contact but family drama ended up with her blocking me on facebook. She was the cousin that my adopted family almost got, but her mother ran off to Arizona to get married instead. I have learned a lot about the family. My grandmother Rubye (who I usually refer to as my EVIL Grandmother) was horrible. Our mother was also abusive to my siblings. I meet L in Feb and my dad went with me. He got along great with L and her husband. Her little girl EG (two years old) is adorable. I went to WY for a visit and again in May when L's daughter graduated HS (she has four girls in all). Mom also came. I pretended to be a cousin from R's dad's side (he is also adopted). His parents were thrilled to be in on the charade. I got to meet our mother and shake her hand. It was very surreal. Since she has dementia she didn't recognize me. L later told mom's husband who I was and how long ago I had found her. He was shocked but not too much. He knows how secretive she is. He wants to get to know me. Will be interesting how that pans out. L and family were here over the summer. We had dinner with my dad and his wife. We all get along so well. My dad said, at least one of your sisters is nice!
Speaking of HIS kids, I finally got my friend request accepted by his oldest son. K and I have been friends on FB for a long time and even met up once. She is nine months younger than me and he is ten months younger than her. I haven't done much but like a few of his posts. Not sure how that will or will not progress. They are understandable bitter about our dad's behavior when he abandoned them.
Spend my first Thanksgiving with my sister and her family. I still have to meet one of her daughters who lives in Alaska. Her daughter R is getting a DNA test for Christmas so we can figure out her father's history.
I now have lots of pictures of my mother's family. Last year my sister gave me the bracelet that our mother's father gave to our mother when she was born. It was so touching. I also have family recipes and stories.
L and I are very different politically but can talk or not talk about that without getting mean. I have worked on her husband's family and tree and that of her oldest daughter's bio father. I am sending them all genealogy binders for Christmas.
I have yet to talk to my maternal brother. He has a lot of issues stemming from our mother. I don't know if we will ever meet or have contact and I am fine with that. He is a bit of a jerk..lol
Well that's about two years summed up. I wish I had not waited so long to contact her but I was really worried based on what our mother said about "no one wants to know you". So I am back to blogging and back to helping adoptees search. DNA is the game changer. I helped two adoptees search and am learning as I go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment