Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Names, family history and being real

Like the majority of adoptees, I had no idea as the my ethnicity. My afather was mostly German, my amother full Irish and both my asibs were adopted from Germany. Me, born in Texas. When I was about 8, I demanded to see my adoption papers, all that there was (unlike asibs) was my adoption decree. Infant Atwell, my real name. Through the years of not knowing more, I clung to this name knowing at least it was English and I had some ethnic identity. I am a history buff and resented not knowing where my ancestors were in history. My amother would hint at various things (like when the miniseries Holocaust was on that it would be neat to be Jewish, WTF? have your people eradicated?). My abro told my my ndad was Mexican????? My afather was a total racist so either possibility was insane.
During my search, when I finally got back online, I had the list narrowed down to seven possibles. I didnt know nmom's age so it was harder. As I started to make trees on each woman, one name sounding very Jewish popped out (her mother's line). AHA. I really began to suspect there was some truth in amother's hints. As I began to call and eliminate possibilities, I finally connected with S, my nmom.
As we talked she told me that Atwell wasnt really the family surname. I was stunned! Over 30 years of fantasizing about a name and I was wrong?????? The name was almost pronounced the same but spelled O***. She didnt know much about the history but gave a few names (grgrandparents etc). Right away I jumped into researching and found a great deal posted on the O*** line, including a book about the family back to 1600s! Cool!
I then began to research my maternal grandmother's line (the one with the Jewish sounding names). I was way off on one name, they were Quakers when they came over and this line was well documented too. There were even pictures of family including my gr-gr-grandmother, the resemblance to me is unreal. It creeps out the family...lol On to the other maternal line. The G line is not as well researched or documented but I found postings looking for family with that name missing from the Holocaust!!!!!!!! WOW. My G line came over in the late 1700s but is connected somehow with the ones who stayed in Germany. I was so excited to learn so much history and its an ongoing process.
After contacting ndad (this may be a repeat from earlier posts) he told me he had been adopted by his stepfather and knew nothing on his ndad.ARG Life is not simple. I began to research the B**g name. I found a lot of information as that family didnt move for 200 years...lol
All research is still in progress. Genealogy research never really ends. I do research "collateral" lines (aunts, uncles, cousins etc) because you never know who may have pics and documents.
I also have a real sense of where my ancestors were in American history and roots. I also have my ethinicity restored! Yes, a lot of English as I had believed, but also Irish, Scottish, Dutch, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Creek. Knowing this has been wonderful but it should be everyone's birthright. No one should go through live wondering who looks back at them in the mirror. No one should have to beg for information about themselves. No one should have their original birth records sealed forever.
Being real, means having a history and roots.

1 comment:

Ungrateful Little Bastard said...

I am so overwhelmed that you demanded to see your papers at 8!!! I love that.