Today was hubby's cousin's funeral. It was a typical family event. There were about 500 people, the same you see at the baby parties, graduations and marriages. There is a consistancy here. The Lanakila church does the catering (a big fundraising for the church), the same entertainment and the same guests.
I dont recall any funerals growing up. I was told that when my adad's mother died I was alone with her for many hours. Her death created a huge rift between my adad and his father. The day before she died, she witnessed a terrible act of violence on my adad's part. My amother had loaded the kids up in the car and attempted to leave. Adad shot out the windshield. He then forced us to line up and hold still as he shot (live bullets) around us. Apparently, seeing this is what caused his mother to have a stroke. Many years later, I was 15 and confronted my aparents with this memory. They were stunned that I remembered this.
I have gone to many funerals now living here. Most are really "celebrations of life". There is some sadness but mostly hope that we will all meet again. Today was beautiful. There were several posters of Charlotte and her loved ones. Most of us laughed remembering the parties or events we had shared with her. Yes we were sad. But we were happy to have known her and had her in our lives. So tonight I say I fond Aloha to Charlotte. I will miss you but hope to see you again someday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment