Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Ramblings

I've always liked Thanksgiving. Not for the Pilgrim stuff (just think how history would be different if they had starved). I like the fact its more a guilt free holiday. To me its about food and being with people you like (note that I did not say family). With my afam, it was one of the few holidays where my aparents would stay sober til nightfall. I guess all the food helped keep them somewhat more coherent. My amother wasnt much of a cook, but she did put out a decent spread. I missed school the Wednesday before each Thanksgiving because I had to stay home and help prepare for the day. I had to polish the silver, iron the tableclothes etc. I didnt really mind because usually the household stayed peaceful for a few days. There was also the vain attempt of family bonding. This year, we stayed home. Usually we make the trek to the inlaws (a two hour drive) and celebrate with them. The crowd of friends and family is anywhere from 15 to 50 people. Its nice, but I am not a people person. I like small small small gatherings. The only holiday I have had a chance to celebrate with my ndad is Easter. His visit coincided with Easter and Brie's bday. We, of course, ended up having Easter Dinner with the inlaws. Ndad got to meet the whole family and we were stared at a lot....lol I have to say my inlaws are very accepting people. Ndad isnt my ndad he is just plain Mary's Dad to them. Anyways, I always look forward to Thanksgiving. Its a hard holiday for many and this year I became aware that this month is devoted to adoption awareness. If you read any of the junk out there, the emphasis again has not been about promoting adoption from foster care, but grabbing newborns or "orphans" from poor countries. I have read a few blogs and articles lately, and the entitlement oozing from the adoptors is sickening. The fear that Guatemala may stop adoptions to the US due is sad. Why wouldnt adoptors want legal and ethical adoption? Guatemala is notorious for corruption, but again no one is willing to admit that their adoption may have been unethical. One thing I am NOT thankful for.... adoption.

No comments: