Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Adoptee (non) Rights

I re-read "An Adopted Woman" by Katrina Maxtone-Graham over the weekend. She was a NY born adoptee who confronted her agency in 1973 and searched. Her book was published in 1983, the year I turned 18 and was "allowed" to search. I joined ALMA that year too. Her search was in the very beginnings in the adoptee rights movement. It is very sad to see how little progress has been made since then. Adoptees are still told they are "ungrateful" if they want to know their roots. We are also "lucky you werent aborted". The list goes on. Agencies, just like in 1973-1975 in the book mentioned, still wield the power over adoptees and natural parents. Its horrible that someone in an office can see the adoptees file and deny the adoptee basic human rights. Everyone, especially those not "touched by adoption", needs to be made aware of the total lack of compassion agencies, courts and the whole adoption industry has towards adoptees and their rights.

3 comments:

Gershom Kaligawa said...

Hey! awesome informative post! I wanted to invite you to the Adoptee Rights Demonstration on July 22, 2008 in New Orleans. I think this will have a huge impact on the state legislatures and let them know we're tired of settling, we mean business and the time to open our records is now! not tomorrow, but NOW. Join us and fight the good fight!

www.AdopteeRights.net :)

Mary said...

Hey Gersh, Thanks. I want to go not sure if I can swing it. You know me by my "other" name...lol
Mlassi

Tina with much2say said...

Well said. I'm sure some people think that when we got wacked with the adoption stick we changed from being people to 'adoptees'.
love tina