I grew up with international adoption (IA), both my asibs were adopted from Germany. Today I am really conflicted about IA and especially transracial adoption and adoptees (TRA). My asibs and I could "pass" as being biological children of our aparents. TRA dont have that luxury. Their status as a TRA is always there when they are out with their afams. I am conflicted though, I don't like the idea of children growing up in a orphanage. Before I started to post this, I made sure to get some numbers (someone posted a link in answer to my query). The statistics only go back to 1990, but they really stunned me. IA to me is a Catch 22. The more money the IA industry makes in a country, the more adoptions seem to happen.
Here is the link: http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/stats/stats_451.html#
If you go to a lot of adoption forums, you will notice how active the Guatemala forums are. The Guat IA industry is rife with corruption. People adopting from Guat don't deny this but justify their adoptions saying it other agencies or lawyers who are corrupt but not theirs. Market value is supply and demand, as much as people hate to admit it, babies are now a commodity. Look at the numbers. Its staggering. In 1990 visas issued to "orphans" coming to the US from Guat was 257, by 2006 the number was 4,135. Astounding. IA adoption in 1990 total 7,093; 2006 total 20,679. What is going on? I dont have the numbers for US kids in foster care but I can imagine its quite high. Do I have a a solution? No. I am still trying to get over these numbers. Just in 2000, the number from Guat was 1,518; look at the increase in six years alone.
I don't get it, I don't understand it and I don't like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yuck indeed. And people always say how their agency was fine, their agency wasn't corrupt, their lawyer made sure.
I want to ask, how do you really know for sure?
Post a Comment